The backstory and ongoing drama of the film, The Insatiable Moon, by screenwriter and producer Mike Riddell. For the whole nine yards, you need to start at the bottom and read backwards...

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Distractions

I've been down in the fair city of Dunedin for most of the week, where among other things I was doing some filming for a doco I'm making. Our venerable director (of Moon) meanwhile has been shovelling snow in the Outer Hebrides, and hopefully also reading the latest draft of the script.

The gestation period of a feature is so long that there are these inevitable ingressions of other matters, some of them necessary to the putting of bread on the table. The danger is that in a year of production, they accumulate to the stage where there's insufficient time to get all the necessary tasks completed.

My own concentration is complicated by the fact that I'm in the midst of moving into a new edit studio/office, so I find my attention wandering. But given that it's March in a couple of days, which gives us around 7 months until preproduction begins in earnest, I need to regain focus very quickly.

But this is not just filmmaking - it's the retention of dreams amidst all the sidebars and distractions of life which silently erode them. And a certain stubbornness in the face of inevitable obstacles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment