The backstory and ongoing drama of the film, The Insatiable Moon, by screenwriter and producer Mike Riddell. For the whole nine yards, you need to start at the bottom and read backwards...

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Murder

Yesterday I completed the move to my new office/edit suite, which means I now go out to work - even if it's only a walk of 20 metres. I feel like I have a real job now.

And to complement the physical process of shifting, there's a certain rearrangement of elements called for in the screenplay of Moon. Some of the changes are relatively easy to make. Others require a little contemplation. The director and I are pondering the place of one of the prominent characters. Either to find more reason for her being there, or to excise her altogether.

In many ways it would be simply to engage in a little authorial homicide. But I need to think carefully about what would be lost (to the story as well as to the vital life-signs of the aforesaid character).

As so many have noted, the process of writing is so often about 'killing your darlings'. It's unusual, and possibly more complex, to have the author of a novel adapting his own work for screen. The darlings are somewhat more adored.

But that's not my problem at the moment. It's whether the moider would enhance or damage the story, not to mention the structure of the script. All too easy to pull one thread and watch the whole garment unravel.

I've decided to brood on it, harbouring these dastardly thoughts in my heart. To kill or to transform, that is the question...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment